Sunday, July 4, 2010

Conversation with Imaginary Jesus

This past Friday I was again lured to this worship/prayer/God's presence thing. Again I went with low expectations, not because of the event but rather all the baggage I'm carrying. I sat at an empty table while some contempervant music played. As the lyrics repeated a longing for being in love with Jesus, I thought about a lot of things, especially focusing on the changes in my life over the past seven or so years.

One of the ways I process things is to have imaginary conversations. This time I imagined Jesus sitting at the chair next to me. He looked around at the eight or so other people, each of them seemingly having an encounter with God.

"So whadda ya think?" he asked.

"I dunno," I shrugged. "I want to be in love you again. Like I think I used to be."

He reminded me of the first time I fell in love with a girl.

"What came first," he asked, "knowing her or falling in love with her?"

"Knowing her," I replied, realizing where this was going.

"You may have thought you were in love with me," he said. "And you may have actually been in love. But I'm not so sure it was with me. Now you're getting to know me. The falling in love will happen naturally."

Boy, that Imaginary Jesus is pretty wise. And now I'm pretty sure y'all understand the blog's title a little better.

2 comments:

  1. Have you read the book "Imaginary Jesus" by Matt Mikalatos? I thin you might enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a really good book, I'm definitely adding it to my wish list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete